Clubs and Organizations
Involvement with clubs and organization is a key element to connecting with peers outside of the classroom. The following are the various clubs and organizations sponsored by Dalton High School.
- Buddy Program: sponsor - Melanie Franey; mission - to mentor and support at-risk elementary school students through weekly visits; resources and administration provided by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northwest Georgia.
- DHS Players (Drama Club): sponsor – Wes Phinney; mission – To promote theatricals arts at Dalton High School through presentation of three major theatrical productions/year including GHSA Regional One-Act Competition, membership in International Thespian Society and participation in annual Georgia Thespians Conference. Membership in Players/Drama Club is open to all students. Membership in International Thespian Society (DHS Thespian Troupe 1702) is limited.
- eSports: sponsor - Virginia Ruiz; The members share their expertise and play video games and participate in gaming competitions.
- FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes): sponsor -Ryan Scoggins; mission - FCA focuses on serving local communities around the globe by engaging, equipping and empowering coaches and athletes to unite, inspire and change the world through the gospel.
- FCCLA: sponsors – Tim Robison; mission – national student organization that promotes personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences education. Focusing on the multiple roles of family members, wage earners and community leaders. Open to all students.
- FIRST Robotics: sponsors -- Davin Norton and Joey Wills: mission -- to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.
- French Club: mission – to promote interest in the French language and to provide a setting for students who share that interest and to promote service learning through service projects.
- German Club: mission – to encourage and promote German language and culture.
- Interact Club: sponsor – Larry Tripp; mission – a Rotary sponsored organization dedicated to service and international understanding that provides an opportunity for students to work together.
- International Thespian Society: sponsor Wes Phinney; mission -to honor student achievement in theatre and enrich their theatre education experience.
JROTC Academic Team:
- JROTC Color Guard: sponsor – First Sergeant (Ret) Eugene Jackson; mission – to present the national and state colors at competitions, sporting events, parades, and various school functions and other civic events in the community.
- JROTC Drill Team: sponsor – First Sergeant (Ret) Eugene Jackson: mission – to perform in school, local, area, and state activities and competitions.
JROTC Leadership Team: mission –to
- JROTC Raiders: mission – to learn military skills and to accomplish personal physical challenges in an outdoor setting.
- JROTC Rifle Marksmanship Club: mission – to promote air rifle safety and competitive marksmanship.
- Latin Club: mission – to promote interest and the study of the Classics
- Literary: sponsor - Meredith Andersen; a competitive group representing Dalton High in contests related to performance and writing.
- Mock Trial Team: sponsor – Amy Mayfield; mission – to participate in academic competitions to promote student achievement and academic excellence and to compete for scholarships.
- Model UN: sponsor--Meredith Andersen and Cody Smith
- National Art Honor Society: sponsor – Mat Sane and Melissa Lambert; mission – to inspire and recognize students who have shown ability and interest in art.
- National Beta Club: sponsor – Annette Buckner, Ed Hoy, and Sarida Hoy; mission – to promote character, to develop leadership skills, to encourage service involvement and to recognize achievement. For grades 10 – 12. Requires a GPA of 3.0 and 40 Service Hours.
- National Honor Society: sponsor –Marybeth Hindman; mission – to create enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership and to develop character.
- Pep Club: sponsor – Dee Curtis; mission - to promote school spirit by decorating lockers, school hallways and competition areas.
- Philosophy Club: sponsor – Michael Coulter; mission – to encourage and promote the independent study of philosophy and critical thought.
- SkillsUSA: sponsors – Nancy Hallsworth; mission – to promote job skills, service, leadership, and competition. Affiliated with the national and state SkillsUSA organization.
- Spanish Club: sponsor – Sandy Crow; mission – to expose students to the Spanish language, culture and civilization.
- Student Council: mission – to provide an official voice of students’ opinion through elected officers and representatives, to promote the exchange of information and ideas among students at DHS and to act as a liaison between the student body and the faculty and administration.
- Tr-M Music Honor Society: sponsor - Janna Pye; Mission - to recognize students for their academic and musical achievements, reward them for their accomplishments and service activities, and to inspire other students to excel at music and leadership.The Tri-M Music Honor Society® is a program of NAfME which focuses on creating future leaders in music education and music advocacy. Tri-M® is the only national honor society for student musicians in grades 6-12. There are more than across all 50 states, involving more than
- Yearbook: sponsor - Melanie Patrick; mission - to design a publication that reflects the spirit and values of Dalton High School. Students must apply for the class and have recommendations from teachers. Books are published for Spring distribution.